If you want to continue following the Scarsdale Diet, but need to do it on a tight budget, you can. Here’s three of the most popular Scarsdale Diet money saver recipes to help you cook delicious and nutritious meals without breaking the bank.
- Mixed greens of your choice (lettuce, escarole, Chinese cabbage, raw spinach, etc.)
- 1/2 cup strips of cold lean chicken or turkey or leftover meats, or a mixture of all three
- 1 1/2 inch cube or equivalent of semi-hard cheese (such as American, brick, cheddar, Jack, etc. or in combination)
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced (optional) P a g e | 63 Copyright ©2011 – All Rights Reserved
- 3 radishes, sliced (optional)
- 1 slice green pepper, diced (optional)
Toss all ingredients together with choice of vinaigrette, lemon or vinegar dressing.
- 1 1/2 pounds stewing lamb (be sure to look for the leanest possible cut)
- all visible fat trimmed off, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 carrots, cut in 1- inch slices
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 green peppers, sliced
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped (or canned tomatoes, drained, about 10 oz)
- 1 tsp. seasoned salt (or to taste)
- Black pepper to taste
Note: this recipe should be prepared in advance, cooled and all fat that rises to top removed before reheating.
Quickly broil lamb pieces on all sides under broiler. Place in saucepan with vegetables and seasonings.
Cook, covered, over low heat one hour or until lamb is tender. If stew becomes dry, add a little tomato juice or bouillon while cooking.
Braised Lamb Shank
This cut of lamb is often fatty. Select shanks as lean as possible, and it is suggested that this recipe be prepared in advance so that it can cool and fat can be removed before reheating.
- 2 lamb shanks with visible fat cut off
- Use *Ketchup marinade for Lamb and Poultry.
Wipe lamb shanks with damp paper towel, place in marinade in heavy skillet.
Refrigerate for 2 or 3 hours, turning lamb occasionally. Remove lamb from marinade and place under broiler, turning until all sides are browned.
Return lamb to marinade in skillet, cover and cook 1 1/2 to 2 hours until lamb is very tender, basting with juices occasionally. Remove any visible fat. Uncover, and continue cooking 15 minutes.
Let cool, and again remove fat. Reheat to serve.
Serves 2 to 3.
Get the Scarsdale Diet Companion eBook
A great eBook to help you lose weight and keep it off! Information that will make your dieting experience a lot easier, enjoyable and more successful. The eBook includes:
Buy Now | $24.95 Tell me more...